2019 SFR International Travel Photo Contest
About the Competition:
This contest seeks to celebrate photography that depicts the landscape, people, cultures, customs and history that entrants experience from across the globe, either in their daily lives or through their travels.
Our mission is to reward photographs that convey the feeling of a time and place, photographs that take us on a journey to experience a land, its people, or a culture.
We invite entrants to share their lives, their stories and the stories of the people and places that have inspired them to create authentic, unique and breathtaking images.
The SFR International Travel Photo Contest is inspired by the wealth of natural, cultural, historic and scenic values of the world renowned Flinders Ranges, a unique landscape dates back 600 million years that has continued to played host to cultures for 49,000 years.
The Southern Flinders Photo Festival is integral to the contest and in addition to AU$8,000 of cash prize pool the finalists and category winners will be exhibited at The Regional Art Gallery, Port Pirie, South Australia and be the centre piece for this regional event.
Who Can Enter
International Travel Photo Contest
The competition is open to entrants form across the world without restriction.
Entrants must be 16 years or over, and the permission of your guardian must be sought if you are not deemed an adult in the country of residence.
Entries open: 15th May 2019
Entries close: 19th August 2019.
Winners Announced: 4th September 2019
Early Bird: AU$15 (approximately US$10)
Entries must be submitted between 15th May – 30th June 2019
Entry Fees: AU$20 (approximately US$15)
Entries must be submitted between 1st July – 19th August 2019 02:30AM GMT (12:00PM Australian Standard Time)
- Architecture & Urban Spaces
- Wildlife & Animals
- Southern Flinders Ranges
- There is no limit to the number of categories an individual entrant can enter.
- There is no limit to the number of entries an individual entrant can enter.
- Entries must have been created after 01 January 2017
- Entries must be submitted as digital file
- No printed entries or negatives will be accepted
Minimum file size and image requirements
- Images must be supplied in a .JPG file format and saved at quality 9
- Images must be a minimum 2200px on the longest side
- Images must be in AdobeRGB (these can still be B&W)
- Images must be named i the following manner: First initial_Last name_Title eg. J_Blogs_Birds on Water.jpg
- Files must not exceed 2Mb
How to Enter
- Save your photograph as specified in the “Minimum file size and image requirements”
- Follow the “Enter Here” Link
- Register your account or login, this process will take you to your dashboard
- Once you are logged in, at any time you can follow the enter “Enter Here” link to start submitting your image(s).
- Select Your category, upload your file, enter a title and location
- Proceed to the checkout and follow the prompts to make payment.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail on completion.
Using The Dashboard
Once you are logged in you can use the dashboard to manage your billing details, password and entries. Entries may be modified right up to the cut-off date for entries, 18th August 2019.
- Entries Must be 100% photographic
- Entries must be 100% the work of the entrant
- Entrants must own the copyright to the image entered
- Entries must have been created from 01 January 2017 onwards
- Entries created during a workshop, class or mentoring session are ineligible unless you are an enrolled student. Students must have the permission of the facilitator to be eligible to enter the image.
- The entrant must not have broken the law in the creation of the image
- The use of purchased stock photography, textures and boarders is prohibited
- All entrants must be able to supply proof that the photograph(s) used to create the final image adheres to the above mentioned rules. If requested, failure to provide this proof can result in the disqualification of your entry
- Entires must not contain any watermark, signature or identifying text.
- Entires must not, at the discretion of the Competition Director, contain obscene, defamatory, sexually explicit or inappropriate content.
- All images must be single capture images.
- Only minor burning, dodging, levels/curves, and/or colour correction is acceptable, as is minor cropping and the conversion to black & white.
- Sensor spots may be removed however no elements within the original capture can be removed through the use of retouching/post production.
- In camera techniques such as High dynamic range images (HDR) and focus stacking, are permissible but only if it can be proven to have been done in camera through one actuation of the shutter.
- In camera multiple exposures are prohibited
- Polyptychs are permissible: The use of multiple image as a story board in one submission is acceptable, so long as each image adheres to the rules.
- Stitched panoramas are acceptable so long as the time between captures is minimal and the process is not used to misconstrue the authenticity of the scene.
- Post production that attempts to deceive the viewer, or misconstrue the authenticity of the scene presented to the photographer is prohibited.
- Any changes to the original photograph not itemized here may result in the disqualification of the entry or render it ineligible for a prize,
- Architecture & Urban Spaces – Entries into this category must depict the built environment in some form. People, animals and other elements may contribute to the narrative but will be judged within the context of the category
- People – Entries into this category must depict the human condition and include people or a person in some form.
- Street – Entries into this category must depict the human condition in relationship to the environment and will reward the documentary style approach to story telling
- Landscapes – Entries into this category will be judged in the context of a landscape in its broadest sense, allowing us to reward excellence in the photography of remote wildernesses, urban/city scapes and aerial photography.
- Wildlife & Animals – Entire are not limited to wildlife, and may also include the depiction of agricultural and domestic animal. Entries into this category must not have been created through the use of any practice that disrupts the natural environment of the animal or causes direct harm to any creature. Practices such as live baiting etc are strictly prohibited.
- Southern Flinders Ranges – Entries must have been taken in or around the Flinders Ranges and depict the iconic landscape, wildlife, people or culture of the Flinders Ranges area.
First round judging
The first round of judging will result in shortlisting the highest scoring 100 entires from each category.
This will be conducted by a panel of judges who will score the entries based on impact, technical skill, narrative, originality and creativity of composition.
The 600 shortlisted entries will then progress to the second round of judging.
Second Round Judging
The second round of judging will be conducted by a panel of judges to determine determine the finalists, and overall contest winner.
Each shortlisted entry will be re-scored based on impact, technical skill, narrative, originality and creativity of composition.
Finalists will be determined by selecting the highest scoring eight images in each category, with the exemption of The Southern Flinders Ranges Category witch will consist of ten finalists.
Finalists will be asked to supply an extended caption and in some cases other information as all of the images awarded as finalists will form part of the International Travel Photo Contest Exhibition.
Selecting the Winner
The category winners will be selected based on the highest scoring image as judged by the panel of judges.
In the event of a tied score, the judges will be asked to provide an argument towards who they feel is most representative of the title of “The SFPF International Travel Photographer for 2019” and a vote will then be taken to determine the winner.
All winners will be notified by email.
A list of the winners will also be published on the Souther Flinders Ranges Photo Festival website & published on the Souther Flinders Ranges Photo Festival Facebook page.
Terms of Service & Conditions of Entries
- This photography competition is conducted by Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival (the “Promoter”) on behalf of the Port Pirie Council.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival and the Port Pirie Council reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions.
- If there is any point where the competition needs to be postponed entry fees will not be refunded. When the Port Pirie Council recommences the competition all previous entries will be automatically included.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival or the Port Pirie Council may cancel or suspend this competition if an event beyond the control of the Port Pirie Council or The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this competition.
- Once an entry has been submitted and payment made no refund will be provided.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival or the Port Pirie Council can not be held responsible for the actions of e-mail service providers preventing the communication of a win or disqualification to an entrant.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival will not accept entries accepted before 15 May 2019 or after 18 August 2019 under any circumstances, including service disruptions on the Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival server or website or third party service provider engaged by The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival.
2. Conditions of Entry
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- In the event of the disqualification of a category winner all reasonable attempts will be made to determine the new winner, who will be announced as such through social media, website and an e-mail communication to all entrants and subscribers to the Southern Flinders Ranges InternationalTravel Photo Contest.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival and the Port Pirie Council can not be held responsible for the print quality, colour management or interpretation of the digital image supplied by the entrant during the printing process, and reserves the right to not include the image in the exhibition of the file does not meet the specifications outlined within these rules.
- All instructions relating to the competition on this website also form part of the Terms and Conditions.
- By entering The Southern Flinders Ranges International Travel Photo Contest you agree to reading, understanding and adhering to the rules and terms and conditions of entry.
- The competition is open to anyone except those directly involved in the organisation and judging (including their families and relatives).
- Employees of sponsors who have not been directly involved in the organisation of this competition are eligible to enter.
- It is open to all professional, amateur and student photographers
- Photographs must have been taken after 01 January 2017.
- Permission of your parents or guardian must be sought if you are not deemed an adult in the country of residence.
- The prizes are not transferable.
- Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent monetary value without giving notice.
- In the event that a winner is not contactable or does not respond to communications, any unclaimed prizes will be forfeited on the 1st November 2019.
- In the event of a disqualification we reserve the right to reclaim the monetary value of any prizes awarded to an entrant in error.
5. Copyright/Usage Rights
- All copyright remains with the photographer/entrant.
- The The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival, Port Pirie Council and Sponsors assert no claims to the rights of any image entered into the competition except as expressed in these terms and conditions.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival and the Port Pirie Council reserves the rights to use any image entered into the contest for publicity of the Contest and its winners.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival and the Port Pirie Council reserves the rights to supply any image entered into the contest to sponsors of the contest or Festival, strictly for the purpose of publicising their support/involvement in the contest/Festival and the winners of the contest.
- If The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival, Sponsor or Port Pirie Council uses any images through websites or social media channels the photographer / entrant will be credited. Entrants consent to the use of their images in this way.
- By entering the awards, entrants grant The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival, its sponsors, and Port Pirie Council a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to use credited images on the The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival, sponsors and Port Pirie Council’s website and social media channels and to use entrants’ images and names either on-line or in printed media to promote the awards at any time in the future.
- It is the entrant’s responsibility to protect their work from third parties by including (but not limited to) metadata into the image. The Promoter will not be liable for any misuse of images by others.
- Each entrant acknowledges that the The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival and Promoter is under no obligation to use their entry for promotions purposes.
- Any use of the image in accordance with these terms and conditions will be at the discretion of the The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival and Promoter.
5. Website use
- You must not use the The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival website content to distribute, reproduce, publish, alter, modify, create derivative or exploit it contents for commercial benefit.
- You may not transmit any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, collect any available personal information from the The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival Website on other individuals, or upload personal information of other individuals, including their names, address, phone number or any other identifying information.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival cannot guarantee that its servers are free of computer viruses, bugs or other harmful components, or that defects will be corrected. As a result, you may at times experience disruption or other difficulties in using the The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival’s Website. The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival has no liability for loss or costs of any kind you suffer as a result of or in connection with any disruption or other difficulties in using the The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival Website. The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival is not responsible for any failure of equipment or technical error associated with the competition. Or for any incorrect information, commission, interruption or delay in operation.
- The Southern Flinders Ranges Photo Festival is not responsible for any theft, unauthorised access or distribution of any entries.
WHAT DO WE DO WITH YOUR INFORMATION?
When you purchase an entry from our store, as part of the buying process, we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, address and email address.
When you browse our competition entry page(s), we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
Email marketing: With your permission, we may send you emails about our store, new products and other updates.
How do you get my consent?
When you provide us with personal information to enter out contest, complete the transaction and verify your credit card, you imply that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
If we ask for your personal information for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to both opt in or say no.
How do I withdraw my consent?
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at anytime, by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may disclose your personal information if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service.
We do not stores your credit card data.
In general, the third-party providers used by us will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us.
However, certain third-party service providers, such as payment gateways and other payment transaction processors, have their own privacy policies in respect to the information we are required to provide to them for your purchase-related transactions.
For these providers, we recommend that you read their privacy policies so you can understand the manner in which your personal information will be handled by these providers.
In particular, remember that certain providers may be located in or have facilities that are located in a different jurisdiction than either you or us. So if you elect to proceed with a transaction that involves the services of a third-party service provider, then your information may become subject to the laws of the jurisdiction(s) in which that service provider or its facilities are located.
When you click on links on our store, they may direct you away from our site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements.
To protect your personal information, we take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
AGE OF CONSENT
By using this site, you represent that you are at least the age of majority in your state or province of residence, or that you are the age of majority in your state or province of residence and you have given us your consent to allow any of your minor dependents to use this site.
If our store is acquired or merged with another company, your information may be transferred to the new owners so that we may continue to sell products to you.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
If you would like to: access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information contact us at email@example.com
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org